The prosecution had not yet started an investigation into wiretapping of Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, although it was the only body under law authorized to establish whether unlawful tapping had taken place and potentially identify a person responsible, Belgrade daily Danas wrote in its Jan. 12 issue.
The daily reported that unlawful wiretapping, if wires had been tapped, was a criminal offence, not a coup, as cited by top state officials.
Investigations into this type of criminal offence were under the jurisdiction of Basic Prosecutor’s Offices, the daily wrote, adding that two out of three Basic Prosecutor’s Office s in Belgrade had told the paper that no investigation into the matter had been launched.
The daily has been told by the Second and Third Basic Prosecutor’s Offices in Belgrade that database searches in these offices had established that there was no data on any investigation being launched into this case or on any criminal complaint filed in relation to wiretapping of the Serbian president. The First Basic Prosecutor’s Office in Belgrade has not replied to the daily’s inquiry.
In the evening on Jan. 11, Vucic said he was convinced that then interior minister, Nebojsa Stefanovic, had not had any knowledge of the matter. Vucic added that his communication had been intercepted with four persons, but declined to name them.